Mechanical Engineer III
La-Z-Boy Incorporated Dayton, TN On-siteKEY RESPONSIBILITIES (other duties as assigned): New Product Development and Launch:
- Lead and execute diverse, complex, or innovative projects.
- Work with product development teams to execute successful product launches.
- Recommend data-driven design modifications.
- Develop preliminary and final prototypes to evaluate safety, functionality, and reliability.
- Review design iterations against project requirements, ergonomic comfort, safety, manufacturability, and cost efficiency.
- Use Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA) best practices.
- Present concepts and models to Merchandising for functional and aesthetic approval.
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) Testing/Validation/Compliance:
- Determine appropriate testing to validate theoretical design empirically through experiment.
- Document design and production FMEAs and create test and misuse requirements to verify both stages.
- Conduct engineering studies based on test results.
- Create and present risk evaluations based on both theoretical and empirical evidence.
- Benchmark competitor products, including non-furniture industries.
- Write product MFG specifications and test procedures. Supplier Management Support:
- Work with suppliers, customers, dealers, etc. to create efficiencies in the development and introductions of new products.
- Research new materials and processes for wood, metal, foam, etc.
- Review and approve applicable portions of supplier PPAP submissions.
- Assist supplier selection efforts of Supply Chain by reviewing process capability.
- Provide general support to Supply Chain cost reduction and maintenance initiatives. Quality Support:
- Triage and analyze trending quality issues and aid in resolving complex technical issues, conduct advanced research, and identify product/service innovations.
- Assist Quality Audits at manufacturing locations.
- Accompany service calls to gain insight to customer needs.
- Assist Comfort Care requests for information.
- Other duties as assigned. SCOPE & IMPACT: The engineer’s designs will integrate into a wide variety of materials, including polymers (injection molded, blown); stamped, formed, cast, machined, and coated metals; wood products (solids, veneers, composites); and foams (slab polyurethane). Work collaboratively with Procurement team to build supplier requirements and improve the effectiveness of our raw material spending in excess of $300 million per year. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Chemical, Textiles, or Industrial Engineering and 4-6 years of design experience with a minimum of two (2) years in mechanical design.
- Working knowledge of finite element analysis and general mechanical engineering analysis.
- Mid-Level experience in FMEA, DFM, DFA, statistical tolerance analysis, GD&T, and lean production.
- Experience with injection molding, metal stamping, castings, fasteners, raw and manufactured wood, and metal tubing.
- Must be able to balance process, technical requirements, and final commercial results in design.
- Review and interpret standards (ASTM, ANSI, BIFMA, ISO, UL, NEC, MFG, etc.)
- Experience with an “APQP-type” quality system, PPAP, 8D problem solving process, and gauge R&Rs.
- Experience in cost reduction initiatives in a design/manufacturing environment is a plus.
- Basic knowledge of electronics and electrical components.
- Microsoft Office (Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Solidworks or similar CAD software.
- Solidworks Simulations, or other FEA software.
- 3D printing.
- Ability to travel up to 30% may be with little advanced notice. PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Chemical, Textiles, or Industrial Engineering and a minimum of 2-4 years of experience in mechanical design SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: normal office environment
Apply and view more details via LinkedIn.
Quality Engineer III
Monroe, MI or Dayton, TN
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (other duties as assigned):
Scope & Impact
- Coordinate the development, implementation and consistency of process control tools/techniques across multiple manufacturing sites.
- Lead the Product & Process Development activities.
- Lead problem solving efforts in areas such as Cost of Quality (COF), Product Failure, and Warranty reduction.
- Lead assist peers and managers in basic quality tools and their application
- Lead the product, process, and quality system audits.
- Projects as directed by supervisor
Ensures that quality processes and procedures are documented and are being adhered to from design and development to manufacturing and delivery with the goal of shipping defect free products to customers. Responsible for monitoring internal and external concerns and quickly reacting to resolve them to minimize the impact to the customers and La-Z-Boy's expenditures and brand reputation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a technical discipline with 4-6 years of relevant work experience or equivalent
- Mid - Level Microsoft Office skills (Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook).
- Strong organization, presentation and communication skills
- Experience applying PFMEA's, Control Plans, Work Instructions, Process Flow Diagrams, Capability Studies, Problem Solving/Decision Making methodologies, and Lean Manufacturing and Value Stream Mapping
- Experience with AQP/APQP
- Experience with a formal Quality Operating systems
- ASQ CQE/CQA certification or equivalent
- Up to 30% travel
- Six Sigma Green certification
- ASQ CQE/CQA certification or equivalent
Apply and view more details via Linkedin.