ABOUT THE POSITION
The Engineering Manager establishes and directs a technical engineering team to define, develop, and design new product lines from concept to full production as well as expand existing product lines for the forestry and recycling markets ensuring customer technical and cost requirement satisfaction. As a member of the Leadership Team, the Engineering Manager will develop cost effective and product improvement strategies for existing products and provide leadership and mentoring to the Engineering Department and site staff.
- Propose and manage budgets for projects.
- Research and develop designs and products.
- Provide clear and concise instructions to engineering teams.
- Ensure that final machines designs are cost-effective and meets requirements.
- Supports the sales department with product applications.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Directs a team of engineers and designers of which may include several subordinate supervisors or team leaders, some of whom are in a position comparable to Senior Engineers.
- Responsible for Research and Development of new product lines.
- Develops, deploys, monitors, and measures internal design standards within all engineering groups and subgroups ensuring accuracy of the Bill of Material (BOM) and its structure on drawings and for computer use.
- Ensures final output of machine designs are functional, cost-effective, and meet customer requirements.
- Prepares, communicates, and monitors individual workloads to optimize and adhere to project schedules as well as capacity management.
- Develops department best practices and standard operating procedures to include integration and hand-off of designs to the Purchasing and Operations departments.
- Promotes good communication and engagement amongst internal and external teams to ensure customer expectations are met.
- Inspires, mentors, grows, and develops engineering talent while providing vision and direction for the team.
- Conducts a continuous search of new materials, processes, and procedures to enhance and improve the product line.
- Prepares budget and schedules for the development of new product lines. Maintains system of budget and schedule control.
- Reviews manufacturing processes for cost effectiveness and feasibility.
- Hold the Engineering Team accountable for Astec Core Values, strategic plan performance, budget performance and schedule performance.
- Works with Operations to ensure new parts are compatible with capabilities. Identifies when new capability is required.
- Provides status reports to the Director of Engineering for projects under their supervision.
To be successful in this role, your experience and competencies are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Forestry Engineering, Forest Resources, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field or equivalent and/or combination of training and experience.
- 8 + years of progressive leadership role om an Engineering related fields
- Manufacturing and engineering experience in heavy machinery and/or "big iron" preferred.
- Proficient in the use of SolidWorks and/or AutoCAD to generate 3D solid model designs from concept to fabrication.
- Familiarity with industry policies and procedures to ensure safety, environmental, and regulatory compliance.
- Must possess in-depth understanding in one or more engineering fields (i.e., electrical, software, mechanical) and design criteria.
- Thorough working knowledge of plant engineering, industrial engineering, and tooling.
- Hydraulic and diesel knowledge required, control systems and power train knowledge a plus.
see job post on Linkedin